- Real Madrid have sold or loaned out 18 players this summer
- The club made no signings
- Odegaard came back from loan
Real Madrid’s fans usually spend the summer verifiying the sources of the many rumors that surface every day about the club’s interest in signing a player. Names like Pogba and Mbappe have been on the headlines every day for the past three summers, always being linked with Real Madrid.
But this summer, Real Madrid signed no one. The words of Florentino Perez spoken just moments after Real Madrid clinched their 34th La Liga title turned out to be true. The president said that the club’s priority will be to sell and that there won’t be any signings this summer.
The departure of players like Bale and James were Real Madrid’s priority. But the club also had to deal with players like Reguilon and Achraf Hakimi, who were simply too good to be on the clubs bench and wanted guaranteed playing time, among other things. Oscar Rodriguez, who had a breakout season on loan with Leganes, has been sold to Sevilla.
Brahim Diaz, who left Manchester City to join Real Madrid in hopes of more playing time, has now done the same and joined AC Milan on loan. Dani Ceballos will spend another season on loan at Arsenal. The Brazilian youngster, Reinier, joined BVB on loan for two seasons. Another player who left on loan is Takefusa Kubo, who spent the last season on loan at Mallorca and will now be playing for Villarreal.
In total, the departures have generated around €100 million in transfer and loan fees for Real Madrid. Bale’s and James’ wages were a heavy financial burden for Los Blancos, and getting rid of those wages is a huge relief for Real Madrid. Between transfers and savings in player salaries the total figure exceedes €200 million.
Full list of players that have departed:
- Gareth Bale, Tottenham Hotspurs, loan.
- James Rodriguez, Everton, free transfer.
- Achraf Hakimi, Inter, €40m + €5m in bonuses.
- Sergio Reguilon, Tottenam Hotspurs, €30m.
- Jorge de Frutos, Levante, €5m.
- Dani Gomez, Levante, €2.5m.
- Javi Sanchez, Valladolid, €3m.
- Takefusa Kubo, Villarreal, €2m (loan).
- Areola, PSG, end of loan.
- Miguel Baeza, Celta, €2.5m.
- Vallejo, Granada, loan.
- Reinier, BVB, loan (2 seasons).
- Oscar, Sevilla, €13.5m.
- Soro, Granada, €2.5m.
- Brahim Diaz, Milan, loan.
- Ceballos, Arsenal, €5m (loan)
- Franchu, Fuenlabrada, loan.
- Borja Mayoral, Roma, €2m (loan)